Our elegant Georgian Courthouse remains virtually unchanged since it was built in 1830. Following closure of the Magistrates Court in 1998, it was opened as a museum a year later. In 2005, its interiors were redecorated in the original colour scheme used when the building opened at Michelmas 1830. The permanent display offers an illustrated history of the use of the Courthouse, suitable for all ages.
The museum consists of three rooms: the Jury Room, Justices' Retiring Room and the Courtroom.
Access with steps
There are steps from the main entrance to:Information Desk
Travel by public transport
Path to main entrance
The doorway from the Jury Room into the Magistrates Retiring Room is too narrow for wheelchair access.
Getting around inside
Ticket/ information desk
Things to See and Do
The Courtroom includes a number of steps and narrow walkways, with access on multiple levels.